SMH-04 Cutty Sark (1870) Model Ship by Abordage:
Museum Quality History of the Cutty Sark:
Designed by Hercules Linton and built by Scott, Linton & Co., in Dumbarton, Scotland in 1869 as a composite built extreme clipper ship for "Old White Hat" Jock Willis of London at a cost of £ 21/ton, the Cutty Sark was one of the last of the tea clippers built for the China tea trade. Her hull was of composite construction with teak planking on iron frames. "Cutty Sark" is Scottish for "short shirt" and comes from the Robert Burns poem "Tam O'Shanter", though the reason for the choice of name is unknown. Cutty Sark and her crew won the respect of the maritime world. She completed a 16,000-mile journey in 119 days. Her crew demonstrated creative determination in building makeshift rudders twice, as she lost them in severe storms. Under the command of a number of captains between 1878 and 1895, she continued to gain fame with her expeditious travels in the wool and tea trades. In 1895 she was sold to J. A. Ferreira of Lisbon. In 1899 she was sold again to the Cia de Navegacao de Portugal and was renamed Maria di Amparo. In 1922 she was in Falmouth when she caught the eye of Captain Wilfred Dowman, who purchased her later that year and brought her to England. She was re-endowed with her famous name and became a full-rigged training vessel at Falmouth. Dowman died in 1936 and Cutty Sark was donated by his widow to the Thames Nautical Training College. In 1954 she was acquired by the National Maritime Museum and displayed at Greenwich, and has been there since then. Cutty Sark's international fame grew even more when the London vinters Berry Bros. & Rudd, Ltd. named their blended Scotch whiskey after her.